Gel, Shellac, Acrylic - What's the difference?

10:10

As some of you might of seen on Instagram I love to show you my new nails every 3 week. I thought I'd share with you all of the different styles I've had all in one post as well as talking about gel, shellac and acrylic because I've only just found out the difference. 

Carry on reading to see my favourite type of nails and why... 

What's the difference between gel and shellac? 

I've been getting my nails done for almost a year now and I had no idea what the difference between gel and shellac was. So here it is, gel is just basically a thicker version of shellac, which I presume means that it should last longer? My gel lasts around 3 weeks (as my nails are rubbish and snap a lot) however they can last up to 4 weeks if your nails are already long as the gel won't grow out as much. Everyone knows 'shellac' because it's a brand name, however it's the same as gel just thinner. 

Here's some of my favourite gel styles which have been done over the past year... You might be able to tell, I'm a huge fan of glitter. 



Should I bother with Acrylic nails? 

Acrylics aren't for everyone. I had acrylics done with gel over the top for my prom and I probably wouldn't get them done again. 
Apparently, 'my nail beds suck' (nice mean girls quote there), which means it's hard for acrylic nails to cling on. Some people wear acrylics all the time, love them and find them easy to handle - it's your personal opinion really. 

The Benefits...
- You can shape acrylics however you want, whether it's square, rounded or pointed. 
- Acrylics give you longer nails, meaning they stand out more. 
- Design is endless, whether it's crystals, bows, ombre etc you can fit more and do more with longer nails.

The Drawbacks... 
- They can ruin your nails. Be careful wear you get them done because I've seen so many peoples nail completely torn off because of people using some kind of superhuman glue. 
- They can be difficult to handle, I know mine weren't even that long and I had trouble doing all sorts of things. 
- If one falls off you look stupid. Due to acrylics standing out a lot it's very obvious when one falls off and can be annoying if your just about to go out. This might mean you need to pay to get it re-done or get them soaked off early.

Thanks for reading and I hope this give you a bit of an insight into nails and maybe now you know which type of nails you want to try! 
See you in my next post, 

klowey x 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Follow Me On Instagram