Fashion: 5 Ways to Wear The Shirt Dress

09:50

'The Shirt Dress' has become such a big wardrobe staple of mine and many others; tailored yet relaxed it's versatility is what I love most. It can be worn on a night out or it could be worn for work so it's a definite must for my wardrobe and I'm glad they're carrying on into AW15.   

 This post will hopefully give you some inspiration if you were thinking about getting a shirt dress or want to style up your current shirt dresses differently. 
Carry on reading to see 5 ways to style the shirt dress...
 (Also find my new season faves at the bottom!)



1. KEEP IT SIMPLE 
Even though you can wear shirt dresses in so many different ways, I still love wearing them buttoned to the top as a dress by itself. Add a little bit of glitz (like my NewLook statement necklace) and some more glitz, this time with shoes (like my Lilac Faith heels, now in the SALE) and it's a sophisticated outfit for going 'out out'.


 2. DAYTIME EVENTS
This H&M maxi shirt dress is perfect for those sunny days (which we need to get back at the moment!). You can wear this buttoned up, however I felt the pattern was too much so I decided to wear a long vest underneath as a dress and added a chunky belt to bring the shirt in. This outfit can be a casual daytime outfit (as it doesn't show too much leg) or it can still in the evening with maybe heels as opposed to chunky sandals.

Vest - H&M £3.99
Belt - NewLook (very similar here £3.99)


3. KEEPING IT SUPER CASUAL
I love crop tops with high waisted jeans (even though these aren't even high waisted, oops). However, sometimes I think it's too much or I feel like I need a jacket so a shirt dress is perfect to shove on over the top. It adds layers to your outfit and makes a crop top and jeans soo much more flattering especially if there's a belt to tie in the middle. Ripped jeans and trainers keep this outfit casual, perfect for some shopping or just generally doing your own thing during the day.
All Topshop (dress, trainerssimilar top)
Jeans - River Island (similar jeans)
Necklace - NewLook


4. HOLIDAY / BEACH READY 
Why not wear your shirt dress as a kimono? I had to share this outfit even though it is just a mirror shot (it was in the wash when we were taking photos!) because I love this River Island floral shirt dress, especially worn open as a kimono. It's perfect for holidays and beach days to shove over a top and denim shorts, it makes it effortlessly girly. 
Dress - River Island (dark floral version here
Shorts - Miss Selfridge Now £15 
Top - Primark 



5. GOING OUT 
As you've seen already, shirt dresses are fab for layering, I used my Topshop shirt dress to wear over the top of a Primark bardot dress in this look. If your cautious of wearing fitted dresses because you feel like you have to breathe in all night then a shirt dress is perfect for you. I suppose it does make it more casual, however with the right jewellery, the right shoes and the right hair and make-up you can easily make this a going out outfit! 

Everything Previously Linked
Dress - Primark £5


Take a look at my current and new season favorite shirt dresses...


From left to right... 

Thanks for reading, I hope you found this post helpful, let me know! After my Summer Lookbook I'm now back to posting every Tuesday, I'll see you in my next post! 

klowey x 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

SUBSCRIBE

Follow Me On Instagram